Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Dust Settled, What Do We Do Now?

Surviving our disappointment wasn't easy. More than half of our clan was gone. 90% of our remaining clan-members refused to play HL2DM. GDawgg Clan was in shambles. I was fortunate to have some stalwart clan-members who didn't give up on me. Who didn't give up on us. We were barely more than two years in existence in November of 2004. I asked myself, "what do we do now?" Finding answers to that question wasn't easy either.

Initially, the key to our survival was in playing other games. We were forced to go back to Half-Life, just to maintain some balance. We also played AG, DOD, CS and CS:S (Adrenaline Gamer, Day of Defeat, Counter Strike, Counter Strike:Source). The problem was none of these games could really sustain us given where we were mentally at that time. The build-up to HL2's release had been so huge and it took so long (the original release date was pushed back 6 months to November 2004). Yeah, you guessed it, the air had been let out of the balloon and we were completely deflated. It's a wonder that we got through that. We tried and tried to make Half-Life be for us what it once had been. We played it. We still had two very popular and well-trafficked Half-Life Killbox servers. It just wasn't the same anymore, no matter how much we played it. Being in this state of not having a game to play that we could be collectively enthused about made all of us seek other outlets. To be honest I can't remember what the other guys did. But for me, I had two HL2DM servers to run. Or, not to run. I could've easily just dropped them but for some reason, I didn't. I knew I had to get someone to make a Killbox for HL2DM and perhaps then my clan-mates would regain some interest and come try it out, even with all the flaws that HL2DM had. That was my mission. Find a map-maker.

How does one find a map-maker? Well, what I did was to search the HL2DM server menu for custom maps. Occasionally I would stumble into one of these custom maps and the mapper would be there alone, testing it. Sometimes I'd get kicked straight-away. Sometimes the mapper would leave and sometimes the server would just crash as soon as I arrived. One day, following my search routine, I wound up in a custom map with a guy named Black Hat Rob. He didn't feel the need to kick me out or crash the server or leave. He stayed and we chatted. I told him what I needed and that I'd pay him for it. We agreed on $35. A few days later (12.08.04) he produced dm_killbox_gdawgg and I began running this map on both of our GDawgg HL2DM Killbox servers. Then on 12.18.04, Rob created dm_killbox_gdwg, implementing some changes I'd requested. Unfortunately, the majority of my clan-mates were just not interested in HL2DM. Having a killbox for the game didn't change things. And, I completely understood. HL2DM was such a huge disappointment for all of us. The only difference for me was I had to take us somewhere. I didn't know where. I just knew we couldn't stay in this funk forever. We had to move forward and it was my job to get us there.

We did have one clan-member who embraced HL2DM. His name was TOI YA BAS, from Scotland.
TOI, as I used to call him, played HL2DM early and often, every day. He wasn't in a funk like the rest of us. This was refreshing for me because he loved our new HL2DM Killbox maps. Our killbox maps became popular and our servers were chock-full of regular players in a short period of time.

A few months went by. Another development that helped us get beyond our HL2DM disappointment was the creation of a Half-Life map by one of our clan-mates. Her name was stupid. Yes, that was her player name and she was anything but stupid. She was very creative. stupid was from Switzerland and she was a cutie too. To date, she is the only female member GDawgg Clan has ever had. stupid made a Half-Life map for us. It was called M-Cross. It gave us something new and different to play. I really liked the map. Played it a lot. It gave me an idea: have it made for HL2DM.

It was now June, 2005. I met a guy named Bullet Magnet. He's from Scotland like TOI. I have no recollection of how or where we met. It had to be in one of our GDawgg HL2DM Killbox servers but I'm not sure. Just do not remember. Okay, so now you're wondering why is it so important to remember when and where I met Bullet? Easy. He changed everything. He changed everything. How? He is a mapper extraordinaire. A "Master Map-Maker". He and I became fast friends. Bullet created a number of maps for GDawgg Clan. Eleven in total. He would eventually make an HL2DM version of stupid's map, M-Cross. Here's one of Bullet's most profound creations: DM_Killbox_GDWG_BB1 http://gdawgg.com/195.html. But, how did he change everything? Perhaps you'd like to know? He taught me how to use Hammer World Editor. This is the tool used to make maps for Half-Life and HL2DM. The entire pc gaming landscape shifted for me once I had the knowledge of how to make my own maps. It was like discovering an entirely new universe that had been dwelling right inside my own head just waiting to be revealed.

It happened like this: I was looking through the HL2DM server menu one day and I saw a map named "tehbox" in the server list. The name intrigued me. I joined the server. There was no one there. The map was so cool to me. By the looks of things it was quite apparent that tehbox was unfinished. What I had discovered was a work in progress. It was a huge wooden platform with very few weapons and a smallish cinder-block building in the center with an operable crane on top. There were also shipping containers on the huge wooden platform. I looked and looked for some clue as to who the original map-maker was for tehbox. Attribution is very important to me. It was critical to find out who made this incomplete, yet very cool map. Unfortunately, I never found out who the original mapper was. I asked Bullet to make some changes to this map for me. It became quite the collaboration between the two of us. He must've made five or six versions of this map for me. The best version, dm_killbox_tehbox_3a was very popular on our GDawgg servers. Then one day I say to Bullet,"can you make a map for me with a long corridor and a bunch of doors leading to various different rooms?" The idea for this map spawned from the film, Matrix Reloaded. In the movie, there was a scene where Morpheus and Trinity have to get the Key-Maker out of a building with a long corridor and hundreds of doors. That's where I got the idea. I figured that Bullet and I had collaborated so well on Tehbox_3A that this doors idea ought to be just as good, if not better. We got started. It was a good start. But then something happened on Bullet's end. I think it was either family or career-related. Or, maybe he simply got tired of making maps for me. That's quite possible. Whatever it was made him almost inaccessible via the web all of a sudden. I couldn't get in contact with him when I was having brainstorms about the doors map. I had to write stuff down and/or remember stuff and some of my ideas got lost in the process. So, after a few days of no contact with Bullet, I finally caught up with him and said, "hey man, maybe you can show me how to use Hammer..." It only took an instant for him to show me where to download Hammer from and where to find an online Hammer tutorial. Within an hour I created a test map by following instructions from the tutorial. Nothing in my pc gaming world would ever be the same again.

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment