Monday, April 2, 2012

Servers

The first game server I ever ran was in Half-Life. It was 1999. This was prior to discovering killbox. I was running my fave map, Datacore on a dial-up Listen Server. Yes, it was awful. Lag-City. Players would join and frag but as soon as the 3rd or 4th person showed up the listen server would go into hyper-lag. I knew then I had to get DSL. Doh... After getting DSL, I got a router so I could run dedicated servers off my various machines. Then I discovered killbox and devoted all my server space to running killbox servers over the next two and a half years.

I usually ran 3 or 4 Half-Life servers at a time. I began to notice certain regular badasses would play on my GDawgg Killbox servers. One was Spam I Am the other was Sarge. These two guys would mop the floor with the rest of the players in my servers, me included. They were awesome players but they never bragged or taunted the rest of us. They just kicked our butts regularly.

When the time came for me to form my own clan in the fall of 2002 I knew I had to approach Spam I Am and Sarge about joining. I was new to clan stuff. I got help from another regular on my servers. It was time for GDawgg Clan to be born.

First though, I forgot something.

Yes, Half-Life changed FPS pc gaming forever.
Fantastic game, no doubt, but I can't leave out Quake 3 Arena.
It was released on December 2, 1999, almost 13 months after Half-Life. Over the next three years, I'm sure I logged at least 1500 hours of game-play time on each of these games. I was hooked.

Q3A was/is one helluva kickass game. No plot, no tasks, no missions. Just kill the other guy early and often, arena style.

This game is crazy, off the charts awesome. I've had a truckload of fun playing it. Q3A is still very popular today. There's more than 600 Q3A servers running this very moment. What's kept it alive all these years are the multitude of mods available for it. Most of these mods involve the rocket launcher, the rail-gun or the shotty. Take it from me, playing modded Q3A is still some of the best gaming around.

Don't believe me? Spend $2.00 or less on this game and join our GDawgg.com-RAIL-XP2.2B server or our GDawgg-ShottyBox-XP2.2B, both of which are running Excessive Plus Mod 2.2B:

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/70.42.74.21:27960/ 

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/74.91.123.164:27960/ 

Great Gaming!

Note: our Q3A GDawgg ShottyBox server is running various custom Q3A maps that I made for the game. 

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment