Friday, March 30, 2012

1992 - Wolf 3D - The Beginning


What a wild and crazy ride it's been. This gaming thing. Never dreamed I'd become this immersed in gaming, It all began the day I discovered Wolf 3D on a company computer where I was employed in 1992. Not sure which one of my colleagues installed it. We had just migrated from a Unix-based company wide system to desk-tops. Graphics were a new phenomenon on a computer monitor for us back then so 3D graphics were mind-blowing, to put it mildy. It was very difficult to stop playing Wolf 3D, next to impossible. In the interest of saving my job, I figured I'd better load it on my home pc which was a thick, heavy Toshiba laptop (386 processor) with a 10 inch display. I purchased the game by mail-order. It arrived at my home on a diskette. Now killing bad guys would invade my home life as well. Killing level bosses was kinda cool but what really got me was the pushwalls.

John Carmack, John Romero, Tom Hall and Adrian Carmack founded id Software in 1991. These guys created Wolf 3D, officially known as Wolfenstein 3D. They put pushwalls all through-out the game. One had to guess where they were unless there was a cheat guide handy (we didn't have one). There were always plenty of goodies (health, ammo, treasure) behind the pushwalls. Sometimes there would be whole levels behind them.

Right around the time I discovered the depth of my addiction to Wolf 3D, Carmack, Romero and guys at id Software released Doom (more pushwalls). I had no idea how deep the rabbit hole would go.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment